Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Healthy dinner? Check!

I didn't make it to the gym this morning, but I did get a few wellness bingo boxes checked off today. Most importantly, I made a healthy meal for dinner involving quite a few vegetables! Over the weekend, I purchased a mixed pint box of mini eggplants but wasn't sure what I should do with them. I came across a recipe for baked (instead of fried) eggplant parm and thought I'd give it a shot. Since I didn't have any jarred sauce at home, so I decided to whip up a quick tomato sauce using crushed tomatoes, garlic, dried basil, oregano, and parsley, and a dash of merlot. The sauce came out okay--not great, but not horrible.

Sadly, I was so busy trying to get dinner together at a reasonable hour that I forgot to take pictures! I based tonight's eggplant parm around this recipe at Allrecipes.com (LOVE that site). Since I was using mini eggplants, I cut down on the ingredient amounts and used a 9x9 baking dish. I only had about half the mozzarella the original recipe calls for, but it turned out fine. And probably healthier or something like that.

Overall, dinner was pretty good. Even better, C2 contributed to the meal (and veggie count) by cutting up the last cucumber and tomato I bought at the farmers market for a mini salad. We didn't have any dressing, so I just tossed them with salt, pepper, and a bit of olive oil. Farm fresh tomatoes kick butt!

1 comment:

  1. I have some mini eggplants and tomatoes I got from my grandma's garden that I'm planning to do something similar with - sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete