Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Buttermilk Pancakes

Who posts about pancakes on a Monday night? Someone who's been watching football all weekend, that's who (also the same person who's watching football right now--J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!). I actually made these pancakes a few weekends ago when trying to finish off the big container of buttermilk I had.

Guess where I went to find a buttermilk pancakes recipe? Allrecipes.com! You'd think it was the only food website I knew about. After comparing a few recipes, I decided to go with Mom's Buttermilk Pancakes (if you put "Mom" in the name of your recipe, I will probably try it).

I combined the dry ingredients, then combined the wet ingredients. That was a giant FAIL. The recipe calls for melted butter. Since I wasn't planning ahead, I quickly melted butter in the microwave. So the butter was hot when it went into the egg and buttermilk mixture. Which made my eggs scramble. Blech blargh d'oh. Attempt two went more according to plan, and I mixed the wet with the dry. I'm glad the recipe warned me it would be lumpy and not to overmix because I would have assumed I screwed up the egg thing again.


I decided to break out the electric griddle we got for Christmas since it has a lot more space than any of our pans. It would have been great had I turned the temperature up correctly to preheat my griddle. Whoops, part 2.


Luckily, the e-griddle heats up pretty quickly and the pancakes were salvageable.


The color is incredibly uneven, but I'm just happy they were cooked through.


The final result was definitely a fluffy pancake, but not incredible. If I made these again, I will do a better job about prepping my ingredients and mixing my wet ingredients more thoroughly before adding to the dry ingredients. I might also add in some sugar, or look for a recipe that is less tangy since C2 and I both prefer sweeter pancakes over more savory pancakes.

Ingredients
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1 1/8 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat and lightly grease a large skillet or electric griddle.

Mix the flour, salt, and baking soda together in a bowl. Add the egg, buttermilk, and butter; stir together but not super well. It should be lumpy and, well, weird looking.

Drop 1/3 cup of the batter onto the griddle. Cook until golden brown on each side. You'll know it's time to flip when the pancakes start bubbling, about 2 minutes per side.





No comments:

Post a Comment