Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Buttermilk Baked Chicken

I had some leftover buttermilk from the CEiMB Mixed Berry Cobber recipe and thought I might give buttermilk fried chicken a try. Except I didn't actually want to fry anything, so I figured I'd try a buttermilk baked chicken recipe. I saw a few different recipes online, but decided to wing it since I didn't have a lot of the listed ingredients.

While I preheated my oven to 375F, I prepped the chicken by pounding it to an even thickness (even thickness = more even cooking). Then it was time for the coating. I used Italian seasoned bread crumbs, since I had them and was too lazy to make my own, and added in some grated Parmesan cheese.


I've said it before, and I'll say it again--mmmmm, cheese. Before the chicken could mingle with the crunch coating, it had to take a bath first. A bath of buttermilk and tabasco, not something I'd recommend for a person. After dipping the chicken in the bath, I then moved it into the breadcrumbs, then onto a baking sheet I sprayed with cooking spray.


The chicken cooked pretty quickly. After putting it into the oven, I didn't do much other than flipping it after ten minutes. I definitely overcooked the chicken--I guess all the news reports of salmonella eggs made me a bit of a fraidy cat cook. Luckily it was still edible and even tasty, just a tad on the dry side. If I made this again, I'd definitely whip up some kind of dipping sauce.



I'm going to be playing around with the blog formatting for the next few posts to see what works and looks best for me. But I'll still be cooking, and eating!

1 comment:

  1. It looks really good! One trick you might try to help the chicken get crispier is to place the chicken on top of a wire rack on the baking sheet. This helps the air circulate around the bottom too so it gets crisp instead of a little mushy which sometimes happens to me depending on how juicy the chicken is.

    ReplyDelete