Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Break time over...almost

Apologies to the lack of posts. I've been a bit lazy in the kitchen, but will be back in the CEiMB swing of things on Thursday with the Mixed Berry Cobbler. I'm also looking forward to a lot of the upcoming recipes, so expect to see posts more often!

My parents were in town this weekend and it was great to see them. We didn't do too many tourist-y things since I've been in the DC area for so long, but we saw a few sites and enjoyed our time together. Even though it was Restaurant Week in DC, we kept things low-key with dinner one night at Red, Hot, & Blue. RH&B is actually a chain of BBQ restaurants that I really enjoy. I'm far from a BBQ connoisseur, so I can't tell you if it's authentic, but I do enjoy their pulled pork, ribs, hush puppies, and fried onion loaf. Definitely not healthy, but inexpensive and tasty. The following night, my mom and I made dinner at home. We were headed to a concert, so it was a quick bolognese with rigatoni served with fresh bread dipped in olive oil. For the bolognese, we browned a mix of ground beef, pork, and veal along with some minced garlic. After the meat was browned and drained, we added in a jar of tomato sauce (we used Bertolli roasted tomato and cabernet sauvignon), salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and a bit of red wine. We let that simmer while we chatted and boiled water for the pasta. It all came together very quickly. I wish we would have added in some diced tomatoes and mushrooms, but it was still very good. The leftovers were surprisingly good--sometimes leftover pasta is sort of bleh--dry and tasteless. This pasta didn't dry out after being reheated in the microwave, but the 2% mozzarella I added on top probably helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment